Chiropractic Care for Sciatica at Bove Family Chiropractic
Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve is pinched or irritated. This causes shooting pains from the buttocks down the leg. It’s very painful and can be debilitating in some cases. If you are suffering from sciatica, our team at Bove Family Chiropractic in Norristown is ready to help. Our chiropractor can help treat the root cause of your sciatica and prevent it from reoccurring.
Causes and Symptoms of Sciatica
A spinal misalignment can lead to sciatica. This occurs when the hip or lower back structures compress the sciatic nerve, leading to irritation and inflammation, both of which increase the symptoms. In some cases, sciatica is caused by a herniated or slipped disc or narrowing of the spine. Typically, sciatica symptoms will only impact one side of the body.
Besides the shooting pains that occur, common symptoms of sciatica also include:
- Weakness in the affected leg
- Reduction in range of motion
- Trouble sitting comfortably
- Numbness in the affected leg
Sciatica Risk Factors
- Old age - As you grow old, your discs and bone tissue wear down naturally. Due to this, your nerves may be pinched or injured, putting you at risk of suffering from sciatica.
- Injury - An injury in your lower back makes you more prone to sciatica. Auto accidents often cause misalignments that press on the sciatic nerve.
- Diabetes - Diabetes increases the chances of nerve damage, making you vulnerable to sciatica.
- Smoking - Tobacco contains nicotine, which may weaken your bones and aggravate abdominal and joint pain.
Other risk factors of sciatica include an inactive lifestyle, osteoarthritis, and improper posture when lifting weights.
How Our Chiropractor Can Help
Chiropractic adjustments work to properly align the musculoskeletal system, helping to alleviate compression from the sciatic nerve. Stretching and strengthening exercises work to relieve tension and promote blood flow to the affected area. These exercises will also ensure you are continually working on improving your health between sessions. During your chiropractic sessions, our team will also recommend ways to maintain proper body mechanics while working and performing other activities to avoid sciatic nerve pain from reoccurring.
Visit Us for Sciatica Relief from Our Chiropractor in Norristown, PA
Our team at Bove Family Chiropractic in Norristown is ready to help you manage your sciatica. We are dedicated to providing our patients the care they need to live healthy and pain-free lives. Offering a combination of chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture therapy, our clinic will create a personalized treatment that’s right for you. Contact us today to schedule your first consultation or to learn more about how we can help.